Chicken Piccata

09 September 2016

Chicken piccata is the easiest and tastiest Italian dish when you are in a hurry! You probably already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen. It's a really simple recipe and I had some requests so here goes...

Note: I don't really measure these ingredients if you add a little more or less of anything you should be fine!

Ingredients
4 chicken breasts (butterflied and flattened)
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
6 cloves garlic or a shallot (smashed and roughly chopped)
1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
1/3 cup capers
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup parsley (chopped)

Directions
  1. Put the flour in a flat dish and add salt and pepper. Mix evenly. (I like a lot of pepper but I go light on the salt because the capers have a lot, in my opinion.)
  2. Coat flattened chicken breasts in flour mixture.
  3. Heat butter and olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan and brown chicken.
  4. Remove chicken from pan and place aside.
  5. Add more butter to the pan, if necessary, and sautée garlic or shallot until fragrant.
  6. Add wine or chicken stock and deglaze the pan well. Let the wine reduce a bit. At this point if I feel my sauce is too thin, I add a little flour and stir until I get the thickness I like.
  7. Add capers and lemon juice.
  8. Return chicken to the pan, make sure to coat with the sauce and top with parsley!
  9. Serve hot with pasta or mashed potatoes.
Tips & Tricks
  • I buy the pre-flattened chicken breasts from the grocery store, it makes life much easier. You can always use regular chicken breast but you will have to flatten it between 2 pieces of wax paper, parchment paper, or plastic wrap. I recommend using a rolling pin if you don't have a meat tenderizer.
  • Pat dry your chicken before dredging it in flour. If it is too wet, the coating will become more of a paste versus dry coating.
  • The chicken will cook more quickly the thinner it is. Don't crowd your pan, cook in batches if necessary.
  • Use a splatter screen because the oil will fly as you fry the chicken.
  • Shallots are larger than garlic so I would only use 1 or 2 in this recipe.
  • Add more wine and butter if you feel you don't have enough sauce.
  • Remember, you can add or subtract ingredients based on your personal taste. I add more garlic than most other recipes call for, I also don't like too many capers.

No comments:

Post a Comment